Monday, May 12, 2008

Psalm 138:1-3 (Part 1)

I was reading Psalm 138 this morning and thought it might be a good exercise to try and go through this chapter in 3 parts and dissect it some. Hope it's has fun to read as it is to write. This is my first crack at this kind of blogging, so we'll see how it pans out. I'm not wanting to depart from my usual, worship leading focused stuff, just was struck by this passage. I will be posting part two on Wednesday with part three coming on Thursday. Here we go:

"I will praise You, O Lord, with all my heart; before the "gods" I will sing Your praise. I will bow down toward Your holy temple and will praise Your Name for Your love and faithfulness, for You have exalted above all things Your Name and Your Word. When I called, You answered me; You made me bold and stouthearted."~~Psalm 138:1-3 (NIV)

Some people have said that, based on verse one "before the "gods" I will sing Your praise", that the psalmist (probably not David) was most likely exiled in a foreign land when he wrote this. Some believe it was written during the Babylonian exile.

Imagine the scene of being in a place that was unfamiliar to you. Almost everyone else is worshiping a false "god" or idol. You are surrounded by people who most likely ridicule your faith. The psalmist declared that even in the midst of all that that he would not be stopped in his pursuit of praising God. He said he would sing the praise of God before all these other "gods". When faced with things claiming to be bigger than God Himself, the worshiper responds by offering praise to the one true God and to Him only.

Many times in our worship service we will use verse 2 to inspire worship. God has exalted His Name and His Word above all things. Above principalities, power, disease, sin and death. The worshiper here is taking comfort in knowing that although he is surrounded by falsehood and oppression, God is exalted above all those things. That despite what present circumstance would seem to say; God is still filled with love and could still be called faithful.

Have you ever been in a circumstance that would threaten to rob you of the desire to worship God? Surrounded by people that worship other things? Overwhelmed by your present predicament? The worshiper in this passage says that worship happens regardless. Maybe he took his cue from David who penned these words after pretending to be insane before Amibelech to preserve his own life:
"I will bless the Lord at all times. His praise shall continually be in my mouth."~~Psalm 34:1
He also echoes the sentiment of David further down in Psalm 34 by declaring that the Lord not only heard, but answered and made him "bold and stouthearted".

I don't know about you, but I've found myself in some situations in the last year that required me to be stouthearted beyond my capabilities. It is in times like these that worship can be a catalyst for life-changing connection with God that can fill us with that that we need most. Wherever you find yourself today, take some time to sing out with all your heart. He's ready. Not just to hear; but respond and make you bold and stouthearted.

1 Comment:

  1. Leah Nisbet said...
    I think this is a very important point to cover. Many times I think we come to worship with an expectancy to get something and when we're not in the mood you might as well forget about it. On multiple occasions I have started my worship with telling God, "No matter how I feel or what I think, you are worthy of praise... It's all about you." There is a song by Everybody Duck that speaks on this.

Post a Comment