Thursday, July 10, 2008

Last night I had the opportunity to share with 20+ Jr. High students about worship. I had planned to talk about the "why, how and where" of worship, but instead felt impressed to share that there is purpose and significance to worship. It was a great time of sharing filled with some fun moments. Here's a little of what we shared:

  • Worship is about more than singing good songs-There is an invisible world beyond the one that we know. We acknowledge it in our talk of the life after this one and need to acknowledge it in the now and know that invisible things are happening when we worship.
  • Worship stops the enemy (2 Chronicles 20:22)
  • It invites His presence (Psalms 22:3)-To this point we talked particularly about how, according to this scripture, God brings His Kingdom rule when we praise. I talked about the "rules" my parents had when I was a kid. The way things are done in the Herod house and that when we worship we invite God to set up His "rules". To come into where we are and dictate His pattern of doing things.
  • Worship is the activity of eternity (Revelation 4)-When we worship we tap into the eternal stream of worship happening in heaven.
I tried encouraging the kids that if they could grasp that worship was about more than the song, more than a moment, but carried purpose and significance for their life they could receive a passion for the worship of God. I always love the opportunity to share worship with the next generation. Psalm 145:4 says; "One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts." Living out that Scripture is one of my life's passions. I would encourage you to find someone from another generation and recount God's goodness to them.

On a side note, I'd like to ask everyone to pray for my Mom. She has lymphoma and is going to have to go through some more treatment for it. I'm a little low on the faith-o-meter this morning and would love to know that others are joining with me in believing for God's healing to overtake her body. We serve a God whose Name is above EVERY other name. Thanks...adam