Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Killing the Elephant in the Room

Over the last few weeks I've been forced to have some really transparent conversations with several people. You could say I've killed a few elephants. It's not been my favorite thing to do. When it comes to stuff about me, I'm really an open book. In many ways I'm way too transparent of a guy. But when it comes to "speaking the truth in love" with others (especially when that truth involves difficult topics) I would rather love and cover than reveal and confront.
*Disclaimer: I always love and cover people in front of others. I'm speaking about revealing and confronting directly with the person(s) involved.*

One of the challenges of being a leader in the church environment is our mandate to help others see real life change and create an environment of family. It is easy (and some people prefer) to just let things shake out however they shake out. Allowing things to just go under the radar and never addressing hindrances to true and honest relationships. What's been amazing is that I'm finding that the more willing I've been to just get things out in the open the easier it is to move on and see improvement.

The Bible says "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17) This verse speaks a few things to me.

  • God puts us in relationships with others so we can sharpen each other.
  • If you're going to get sharper, sometimes sparks have to fly.
  • There's two ways to stay dull. Avoid relationships altogether or never let relationships get past the place of clashing.
God allows us to be family so we can help each other grow. I believe that requires us to create an environment of transparency and acceptance that enables true relationships that reach beneath the surface. Most relationships aren't big enough for elephants to live in. I've been encouraged to go to others and confess my frustrations and/or mistakes, confirm my love for them and, in some cases, just agree to drop the past and choose to move forward.

What conversation have you been avoiding that is stopping your relationships from going deep? Who's the person you need to "reset" your relationship with and green light them to speak into your world?

1 Comment:

  1. Brad Ruggles said...
    Man, those "speak the truth in love" conversations are some of the hardest to have. I have to say though, when I've put off having the tough conversations with people I need to talk to, I usually end up regretting it later on.

Post a Comment