Tuesday, August 04, 2009

duty for beauty

I had a thought over the weekend that kind of haunted me. Here it is:

What would I change about my life if it were being filmed 24/7?

Don't worry; this isn't going to be one of those "God is already watching your life 24/7 so change it anyway" kind of posts. It did challenge me to think of what I would do differently. I'd probably:

  • Pray more & stress less
  • Spend more time listening than talking
  • Spend less time tweeting
  • Play less Halo and play more board games with my kids
  • Spend less time watching TV and more time reading
  • Hug my wife more
  • Never ignore my kids when they want to do something
  • Spend less time on Facebook and have my "face in the book" more (that's a Tony Sutherland special)
All these things are good, but as I thought them through I had an overwhelming response rise in my heart. On my journey to try and know God I've gotten to the place where relationship has replaced religion and it is a wondrous thing. I'm going to work on some of these things and change where I need to but I'm not going back to viewing God as a taskmaster keeping galactic tabs on my dos and don'ts.

I refuse to trade beauty for duty. How about you?