Thursday, March 27, 2008

What is my life telling my kids?

I had this thought that struck me the other day while I was on the road to lead worship at a friend's church. "What am I telling my kids with my non-verbal actions that life is about?" I was thinking about everything that I place priority on in my life and how, when I'm gone and they're grown, they are going to take cues on how life should be lived from me. I can leave them at home while I go and do the work God has called me to and they will most likely grow up and do the same with their kids. I could sit at home and only watch TV and they will probably do the same. You get the idea.

I thought I would challenge myself, and some of my friends, on this idea. I would say that I am most passionate about Jesus, my wife, my kids, others and then everything else. But, the actions that my kids see might portray a different set of priorities. They see me after I'm done praying/worshiping/leading/mentoring/studying etc. They don't get to see a lot of the more "spiritual" things that I do. So as I took an honest inventory of what they do see, I felt like my kids would know a few things if I were gone tomorrow.

1. Jesus is the most important thing.
2. We should worship with passion.
3. I love their Mom more than anyone else. (so far so good)
4. Tarheel Basketball is VERY important.
5. The TV can stay on most of the time. (uh-oh)
6. Having fun with friends is one of the most important things in life.
7. Daddy's PlayStation is a lot of fun and I should definitely learn how to play it.
8. The computer and cell phone trump most things.

1-3 are pretty good, but the rest of the list isn't reflective of my true priorities (at least in my heart) but it is probably what they see. That last one hurts especially bad. I thought about how I read and I pray, but rarely in front of my kids. Don't get me wrong, we bless our kids every night. We talk about God. What His Word says. How its principles should affect how we live our everyday lives. But they don't see me pounding it down, working it through, talking about it with friends, asking the Holy Spirit for wisdom.

When I'm gone, I want my kids to be able to know how they should live. I want them to say, "I saw my Dad and Mom live it; now it's my turn and my turn to teach my kids the same." I am sending this out to a few friends and asking them, "What is my life telling my kids?" and "What do I want it to be telling them?" If they allow me, I'll post some of their thoughts here.

I, for one, intend to start being a little more intentional with what my non-verbal communications say to my kids. I want them to know that a relationship with God changes who we are, prioritizes our life and gives us an eternal perspective. I want them to know God is alive and well, not just by what they hear, but by what they see.

2 Comments:

  1. les said...
    Adam - Very well put and thought provoking. Lord help us all to consider the legacy we leave. Love you.

    From one dad to another. . . .
    Jason said...
    I think the thing that this post makes me think of the most is that you can only make life good by being intentional.

    We can let life slide by, watch TV every night, not help out much around the house, not help friends go through hard times (when it would be uncomfortable for us)...or we can man up and teach our kids to take life by the horns...

    Which means, giving of yourself (because you are the least important person in your world), going out of your way to show others love (your wife, your kids), and never missing out on a moment of life...

    Now that moment might be watching Peter Pan with your son for the first time, or it might mean getting your daughter up with you and letting her sit on your lap while you read the bible.

    Whatever it means for you, it most likely won't just happen...you have to be intentional about showing love, being selfless, etc.

    Great post Adam. I hope one day to be half as good a dad as you are to your kids!

Post a Comment