Monday, March 31, 2008

Living with the Mek

I've been a little under the weather this weekend. This gave me a lot of couch time which I used to watch B-Ball, finish reading a book, pray, snuggle with my kids and watch the Travel Channel. They have a show, "Living with the Mek", that is just fascinating. It's about two westerners who live with this ancient tribe in West Papua. As I was watching it, it dawned on me that these people only had their families, fields and hunting to occupy their time. I wondered what I would do if there was no 9-5. No email, no cell phone, no church building, no keyboard, no basketball.

It's so easy to find meaning and value in the things that in the final analysis can be distractions from the main things in life. Not saying that any of these things are bad, but when all the peripherals are swept away we are left with our God, our family, our food, our shelter and our friends. I need to place more priority on those things and less on the distractions my comparatively modern life has to offer.