Thursday, April 10, 2008

Embrace the Mystery

I had a great chance to worship with two great friends this weekend. Tony Sutherland and I were at my boy Mike Craig's church. My friends Wayne and Jaron showed up as well and it was nice to just have some free worship time with friends. Mike and I have literally known each other our whole lives. We are a month and a day apart and our parents attended church together when we were born. Relationships with that depth are rare and I'm very thankful for him and what his family and friendship mean to me.

During one of our worship times I felt the Lord tell me to just seek Him for who He is. I so often find myself seeking the Lord for specific things. Some direction here. How to handle a situation with a worship team member there. Here an issue, there an issue, everywhere a issue, issue. I felt a distinct sense of needing to lay some of that down (although there is nothing wrong with praying for/through issues) and just spend more time seeking Him just to know Him more.

So tonight in my office, I was praying for some of our worship team, for some friends and also just talking to the Lord asking Him more about Him. I was specifically trying to understand a certain aspect of what He is doing in my life that I don't understand. I heard this in my heart; "Sometimes you just need to embrace the mystery. Don't get so caught up in trying to "figure" Me out. My ways are higher than yours. My thoughts are higher than yours."

There are so many things I may never understand. Why the God of all the universe would love and choose me. Why He would come and die. Why He would create us in the first place knowing that that was the eventual outcome. Why He speaks through people like me when several people are more qualified. Eternity? How does it work?

I'm glad to serve a God that I can't figure out and am going to take more time to "embrace the mystery" of who He is and just enjoy Him.