Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Heart of the Matter

"I been trying to get down to the heart of the matter. But my will gets weak and my thoughts seem to scatter..." Ladies and Gentlemen, Don Henley. Modern day prophet. (said with tongue in cheek)



I had a friend call me this week with a worship team issue this week and there were so many things swirling around that it seemed like there were 15-20 issues happening at once. Generally when I've seen this happen with my teams, or individuals on my teams, there is one thing causing most of the other things happening. The "heart of the matter" either personally or corporately.

It is easy as a leader to diagnose and treat symptoms, but it takes guts to cut through the junk and find what is really causing the issues. Someone may ask why someone else gets to lead the band for a week or someone else leads a song. Why didn't I get asked to do a solo? Why did you feel like you had to bring in a guest leader while you were away? Sometimes you may never hear those questions at all and someone will just become a little passive-aggressive in rehearsal and you won't know where it came from.

This is where having relationships with those on your team is key. Let's say that "Johnny" starts fuming that he didn't get a guitar solo this week. What's the root issue? The closer I am to "Johnny", the better I'll be able to diagnose the "heart of the matter". It could be pride. It could be a lack of self confidence and the need for the approval of others. Maybe the last worship leader he served under didn't appreciate his gifts. It could be any number of things ranging from private sin to a crummy day at work. Those are all very different issues with different solutions, but if I only react to the surface thing then I'll miss the opportunity to lead "Johnny" well.

We all want to grow together as believers and sometimes that takes a willingness to dig past the surface. It doesn't mean that it will be easier. It's easier to tell "Johnny" you shouldn't react that way, than it is to tell "Johnny" that God is trying to deal with him about pride or asking him to join you in prayer to figure out what triggers this in him.

One of my passions is to see God release destiny in others. If I'm to be a true agent of change and release in others, then I have to push pass my "will gets weak and my thoughts start to scatter" and ask the Holy Spirit for His discernment and clarity to help the "Johnnies" in my world and myself get down to the "heart of the matter".

3 Comments:

  1. cdog12 said...
    Should I feel bad for not having heard that song before and regretting it now that I have?
    adam herod said...
    You shouldn't feel bad. It just makes me feel old. Maybe you'd enjoy India Arie's version a little better. I'll let you check it out next time we hang.
    Misty said...
    Hey Babe,

    I guess it is sad that I am having to catch up on reading your blog, but I do what I can when we are a computer short.

    I just wanted to tell everyone how proud I am of you. I see you live out the things you talk about here everyday. I know that the things you challenge us all with, are the things you are doing your best to live out. You are a great dad, a wonderful husband a fantastic worship leader and a passionate follower of Jesus. I love you and I am proud of who you are.
    -Misty

Post a Comment