Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My favorite place to worship in my church is...where the kids worship. Our 4 year olds-5th graders all worship together in their own worship space on Wednesday nights. I love all our other teams and can experience the Lord wherever on our campus, but that is my favorite place to be during worship. They jump around and do some things you can't get away with in "big" church. (some of that is for good reasons) They worship with such abandon, innocence and enthusiasm.

Something about kid's worship always gets me. The Bible says that, "Out of the mouths of babes and nursing infants you have perfected praise". Interestingly enough, in this passage (Matthew 21:12-16), Jesus had just gotten a little ticked with the manipulation of people in the temple and cleaned house. Afterwards, the blind and lame came to Him and He healed them. What should have been beautiful about this visit to the temple is that the Messiah was finally there. He had come to bring purity and healing to His house; to re-establish it's purpose. The chief priests, some of whom were benefiting from the scams, were furious. The children, on the other hand, cried out and were saying, "Hosanna to the Son of David". Their innocence allowed them to see what the spiritual leaders refused to recognize.

Kids worship with a purity and innocence that is so easy to lose as you get older. When children worship, really worship not just sing songs, I find myself broken. There is nothing like seeing kids with hands raised in worship, singing like it is the most important thing they could ever do. And if they start crying as they worship; forget about it, I'm officially done leading. I can't even continue when I see kids truly experiencing Him. Having a 4 and 6 year old seals the deal. When I hear them sing from their heart, in the car, the house or on Wednesdays at PowerKids my passion for Jesus is renewed. I love seeing kids experience God's presence.

I was praying with Judah, my 6 year old, the other day about having a "Transformer's Mind" (another topic) and I sensed the presence of the Lord, so I asked him how he felt during the prayer. Did he feel anything "different"? His response..."I felt kind of tingly. Like I knew Jesus was there. Kind of like spidey-sense." I don't know about you, but reading that just made my spiritual "spidey-sense" go off. Lord help us to keep our childlike sense of wonderment, amazement and enthusiasm for Your presence.