Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The 4 Re's

Today I'm posting a document that I sent out to our team worship leaders a few months back. I have a personal process that I walk through about every 6 months and thought I'd share it with them. Here's basically a cut and paste of the email I sent out. I'd love to hear how you review what God is doing in your life.

I just wanted to walk you all through the process I go through on a regular basis with myself. Thinking through these questions should help us all learn more about where God has us and has us doing.

1. Reevaluate

  • Review what God has done in your area of ministry.
    • Where have you seen positive progress?
    • Where would you like to see more improvement?
    • How can I help you in this process?
  • Review songs for retirement
    • Is there a song, or songs, that you over use?
      • (One of mine has been "Meet With Me". I love that song a little too much for other people's good. I have to “retire” songs to prevent myself from that.)
    • Retiring a song forces us as worship leaders to be more proactive in finding new or lesser-used songs to keep our worship expressions fresh.
  • Review your team
    • Where are your strengths and weaknesses as a team?
    • What positions could be filled on your team?
    • Where can we build a sense of family on our teams?
  • Review yourself
    • What has God taught you this last year?
    • What do you feel like God is speaking to you about your team?
    • Am I where He wants me to be?
2. Re-Up
  • Recommit yourself to what God has called you to do and whom He’s called you to
  • lead.
  • Decide to stay creative instead of complacent.
  • Fight the urge to stick with the status quo.
3. Reverence
  • Once you reevaluate and re-up, reverence the holy calling that you have to
  • lead others into God’s presence.
  • Take time to be thankful to God for the opportunities He’s afforded you.
4. Respect
  • Respect those God has placed in authority and given voice to in and over your area of ministry. (i.e. Pastors, fellow Worship Leaders, Elders)
I hope this will be helpful to us all in reviewing and renewing our commitment to lead our church family in worship. Please let me know how I can be a servant to you in your area of ministry. Let’s grow together…adam