Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I've been thinking about grudges/offenses/hurts/unforgiveness (especially as it relates to other believers) for a little while now. I've got a couple of people in my life who make me cringe when I think about them because thoughts about that person take me back to a not so fun time together. I will say up front that I have been extremely blessed. My life has been free from traumatic events. I have no abuse to forgive. No great injustice to grieve over. I've got no story like my friend Danny Wallace. (check him out for an amazing story of God's faithfulness in a life that could have been filled with bitterness and struggle)

What I do have is insecurities and a list of grievances of people who have treated me unfairly. That list is shorter than it used to be, but I've been reviewing the list and came to this conclusion. 90% of the people on that list are believers. According to what I see in Scripture, I'm spending eternity with these folks. So here's what I'm thinking...forever is a long time to hold a grudge.

Do I really think that four millenniums from now I'm still going to be ticked at brother so and so for what they said in the 90s? How ridiculous is that? So if it's true that forgiveness will come eventually, why not start the process now?

Who's that person in your world that you're going to be in eternal fellowship with that you avoid today?

Let's get this forgiveness thing started today. I'm not sure if we'll be forgiving each other in heaven, but eternity is a long time to dodge someone. There's going to be more important things to do with our time then.