Thursday, April 23, 2009

return to reverence

Last night I had a daunting thought. Sometimes I treat God too casually. I mean, I get that He wants relationship with us and that we should "talk to Him like we talk to a friend". But I was reminded that He's not just another friend.

He's beyond another relationship to be pursued. He's more than just another interest. He's beyond being a part of my life. Scripture says He is life. I've spent a lot of my time trying to figure out how to fit His life into mine instead of asking how to fit my life inside His.

I LOVE the truth that Jesus loves us like we are. I embrace the fact that my imperfections are opportunities for His strength to be made perfect. And deep down inside I KNOW that my life is empty and useless outside of His presence and purpose. I want to be more Him and less me.

I'm feeling a tug on my heart back to reverence. Not the "you don't wear anything but a suit to church" (or a dress for the ladies) reverence. But a "God is holy and so far beyond my comprehension that I need to evaluate my continual respect level for Him" reverence.

So I guess what I'm saying is more of a prayer... Jesus help me to hold You in higher esteem. Help me to latch on to Your truth beyond my current circumstances. Help me to hold on to Your Word as the truth in every situation. Thank you for being my friend. I love you for that. But I also want to honor You as my King. Teach me that balance...amen.

How do you practice reverence?