Wednesday, July 22, 2009

angry

(begin rant)

I'm angry today. Pissed would be a better word, but my Mom doesn't really like it so it couldn't be the title of this post. I'm going to share something that I loathe here today. I got a new twitter follower today who will remain nameless, but reminds me of all these guys who buy up time on BET on the weekend to ask you to send them money for them to give you a prophecy.

Get your golden key here. Buy my prosperity package there. Here a scam. There a scam. Everywhere a scam scam.

This guy in particular has a pretty famous parishioner who he ordained and is the logo for my fantasy basketball team. He has a church in NYC and a TV show and website. All dedicated to the greatness of him and how you can give him or his associate's money to prophecy over you. You can also get a prophecy for free mailed to you right after you provide him with all your pertinent information. In researching him briefly, I found several of his followers on Amazon debating about one of his books. Here's some of their direct quotes:

"I am an example, he awaken me as to who God is in me and who Iam in God....so guess what??? I DO NOT PLAY GOD...I am God." (I think I threw up in my mouth a little after pasting that)

"You are a child that's why you can't hear the Lord's voice. God is a gentleman. He does not MOLEST kids. Good luck with your irrational mind." (this was in response to someone being critical)

This stuff really makes me angry. I've heard the testimonies. After I called the 800 number XYZ happened to me. One preacher in particular stopped a woman testifying to God's provision of a house to make sure she added "after I laid my hands on you" in several places. Are you serious?!

How about this? "I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols." (Isaiah 42:8)

These men prey on people so poor and desperate that they are looking for saving wherever they can find it. They distract people from the one, true source of salvation and freedom; Jesus. They are wolves among the flock and this pastor, for one, wants to kick them out forcefully.

I normally don't use this space for rants, but this is something that has been stuck in my craw for a while now. I'll leave with these words from 2 Peter 2:

1
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them–bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2 Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

And all God's people said amen.

(end rant)