Wednesday, March 18, 2009

back to basics

There is a push in my life to get back to the basics of what really matters. A calling back to prayer. A calling back to family being priority. A calling back to the words of Jesus and how His character should shape my life and decisions. I heard that John Maxwell said that "Most Christians are educated far beyond their level of obedience." To say I've got a long way to go would be like saying Yao Ming is kind of tall.

What I do find is that when I'm willing to strip away everything I take security in outside of Him; God is waiting to rip down the walls and make my adventure with Him bigger. One of the ways I'm doing this is by reading the Gospels. I've joined with Pete Wilson on his 28 day journey through Matthew and trying to take the time to ask God what He really wants to do in my heart and life.

This process of trying to become more like Him always leads to a tug of war for my heart. Am I really willing to step away from all the things that pull me from Him? Am I really willing to die so He can live? Am I really ready to live life always preferring others? Do I really want to be like Jesus?

It's so easy to get caught up on the theories of how to do church. The right things to say. The right songs to sing and lose focus on the ultimate right in life:

To know Jesus. In the fellowship of His sufferings and the power of His resurrection.

Anyone else down for getting back to basics? How do you make sure your faith is still focused?