Friday, March 06, 2009

k.i.s.s.ing a men's advance

A part of me always wants to bring something new and exciting to the table. I'm always wanting to be fresh and current. But the thought hit me today that sometimes I don't need to change the world. I just need to create environments where people can connect to God in worship. And sometimes that means using the K.I.S.S. method.

Here's what brought this home for me today. I'm heading back to VA this afternoon to lead worship at their annual Men's Advance. I am co-leading with my friend Matt Ruckel who took over when I left. Matt and I chose the sets for the weekend and chose songs everyone knows. Familiar. Easy. Simple.

Besides, I'm really not there to impress anyone with my gifts, right? I'm supposed to be there to impress on them the greatness of God. So I'm content this weekend to go in and do older songs and try and provide worship that's like a pair of old, comfy slippers.